Sunday, August 22, 2010

Week 9: Learning Styles and Multiple Intelligences


Curry's Onion Model. The Curry Onion Metaphor (1983)

I have learned about Curry's Onion Model from the article by Terry O'Connor “Using Learning Styles to Adapt Technology for Higher Education”, http://iod.unh.edu/EE/articles/learning-styles.html/, which I found very interesting, as it directly addresses my personal needs.

In this article she states that most teachers tend to rely almost exclusively on sequential, verbal presentations, combined with private reading & writing activities. However, students learn best when they can address knowledge in ways that they trust. Curry's model provides categorization of human learning differences:
1. Environmental preferences regarding sound, light, temperature, and class design;
2. Emotional preferences addressing motivation, persistence, responsibility and structure;
3. Sociological preferences for private, pair, peer, team, adult or varied learning relations;
4. Psychological preference related to perception, intake, time, and mobility;
5. Psychological preferences based on analytic mode, hemisphericity, and action.

According to O’Connor ‘The concept of learning styles has gained growing attention from educators because it provides a stable-enough characterization to plan pedagogical strategies. These strategies appear more responsive to students needs’.
Here are some general conclusions for teachers:
• Students will learn better when using preferences in which they're successful
• Students will be better learners when they can expand their preferences
• When teaching accommodates various preferences, more students will be successful.
• Teachers can construct activities that include specific (& multiple) learning preferences
• This can be done by adding alternatives or, completing learning cycles that incorporate all styles or, by utilizing holistic, complex tasks.

In her article I also came across the Dunn and Dunn Learning Style Model, and found a very interesting presentation at: http://www.slideshare.net/bking/edu-5701-7-dunn-dunn-learning-styles-model1-presentation/ which I recommend to view.

I found particularly helpful for me “Sailing the 5 C's with Learning Strategies” http://www.nclrc.org/sailing/, as it deals with Foreign Language Learning Standards, the 5 Cs: Communication, Cultures, Connections, Comparisons, and Communities. The thing is that besides teaching, I am also involved in designing and developing National Standards for Foreign Languages (English in particular) for all stages of schools: Primary, Basic and Secondary. One of the main directions in our standard is Learning to Learn. That’s why, the material provided here is very valuable for my further work on the Standard.

Currently a Presidential Program “Teach and Learn Georgia” is underway: within this program volunteer teachers (native speakers) from all over the world are invited to teach in Georgian schools together with local teachers.

On Saturday I had a very important mission: I had to make a presentation to the group of 60 volunteer-teachers about the objectives of the National Curriculum, The National Standard for Teaching English and the Assessment System. Equipped with all the theoretical and technological skills, the presentation was successful, though very tiresome: the whole week I was working on the presentation material, and yesterday I had to traveled by car for 7 hours to and fro (as it was held in another city). So, please forgive me if you find my writing a bit incoherent.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Bella,

    Congratulations on your sucessful mission and presentation. I'm happy you already started to put the technological skills you learnt in this course to good use. Your post is not incoherent, at all. On the contrary, I found it very illuminating and I particularly liked the "Curry" Onion Model. Combined with last week's Hot Potatoes, we may end up with a recipe for a curry(Indian food);-) Bon appetit! But, if you insist your writing is still incoherent, in that case, I must either have a highly sophisticated 'disorganizational' learning style or a well-developped 'humourous' intelligence ;-)What do you think if we expanded the spectrum of MI and Learning Styles concepts with these two new comers, "disorganizational" LS and "humourous" Intelligence? Wouldn't be a good contribution?!

    Thanks a lot for the interesting links.

    Yours,
    Arbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bella,

    Thank you for your interesting post and of course, for your editing help on my project report. I really appreciate it. Your work sounds very challenging and fulfilling. Even though it's exhausting, it must also be very satisfying. I think that successful learners (those who are autonomous, life-long learners with effective learner strategies) are able to adapt to different learning environments. Perhaps the best way to help our learners is to expose them to different learning environments and help them adapt. As they grow older, they will be faced with many challenges and the ability to be flexible will be even more important in the future, as I suspect life will become even more fast-paced. Just my opinion of course.

    Enjoy the final week of the course!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Janet,

    Thanks for your kind words. Your comments to my project plan were also very helpful.

    You are absolutely right in saying that we should help our learners not only to learn a language, but also to help them acquire life skills that they will need to adapt to different situations,not only in learning.

    Best

    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arbi,

    Thank you for your encouraging, metaphoric and humorous comment. I am not against trying 'Onion Curry'.

    As for adding 'humorous' intelligence, I am all for it: this is the intelligence you possess abundantly. That's why I always enjoy reading your posts.

    Best

    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really happy to arrive this site. I needed to thank you for this fantastic article!! I certainly enjoying every small bit of it
    Essay Writing

    ReplyDelete