Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Week 10: Wrapping Up and Saying Good-bye!

This course was the greatest experience I have had in my life. In our course survey we were asked what we liked best about the course. My answer is: everything! I liked the structure, the content, the organization, the balanced mixture of theory-based and task-based assignments, and an extremely friendly and helpful virtual environment in class.

But most of all, of course, our instructor Deborah Healey! With the highest degree of professionalism, her readiness to help promptly, her extremely valuable and positive feedback to every part of my work was very motivating for me. Thanks to Deborah's excellent work, I have acquired more knowledge and skills for these unforgettable 10 weeks, than I would have acquired for years probably.

However, things not always went on as smoothly as it may seem now: throughout these ten weeks I have had quite a few exhausting and sleepless hours sweating over the assignments and tasks. It was a rather tough and challenging course for me. At times I thought that I would not be able to make it, e.g. while creating a WebQuest on Zunal.com, or an Interactive PPt, or creating a Wiki on Google Sites, but I never stopped trying, and, as a result, I always accomplished the goals set by Deborah. Surely, I am far from thinking that my creations are perfect – I will need a lot of work, and more sleepless hours to make these my creations ‘workable’ at full speed in my classes, but I can claim that I have made huge steps forward in this direction, and I intend to move further ahead!


MANY THANKS PERSONALLY TO DEBORAH AND TO THE WHOLE STAFF OF UNIVERSITY OF OREGON AMERICAN ENGLISH INSTITUTE FOR DESIGNING SUCH A WONDERFUL AND EXTREMELY BENEFICIAL COURSE!

And Many thanks to you , my dear colleague-coursemates, for sharing your experience, giving advice and offering help whenever I needed. I know, I’ll be missing this course very much. But thanks to the technology, hopefully, we will stay in touch.

Please, take this video clip as a little gift – a part of my country’s culture. It’s a video-collage of our national folk dances, performed by the best dance company of Georgia.


10 comments:

  1. Dear Bella,

    Thank you for sharing your concluding thoughts on the course. Like you, I found the last 10 weeks to be a very positive and rewarding experience. Not only were we challenged to think critically about our own teaching practices, we were challenged with the task of leveraging our new skills to develop technology-based solutions to authentic teaching and learning issues. The readings, discussion prompts, and tasks all challenged us to consider new ideas and think about technology integration in new ways. However, as your blog post alludes to, sometimes the biggest challenges garner the greatest rewards!

    I join you in applauding Deborah's exceptional efforts in facilitating our course. She set clear expectations and provided the guidance necessary for us to move forward with our collective and individual challenges.

    Best Regards,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bella,

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful link! So beautiful…I would like so much attending a concert like this…

    Stephen, I also think that this course challenged us and make us think of ways to integrate technology in our EFL classes! We've been exposed to new tools/methods and computer skills. Good luck in incorporating technology in your classes.

    Best wishes,
    Khuloud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bella,

    Thanks for sharing with us your thoughts and feelings about the entirety of this online learning experience. Just like you, I consider the valuable input I got during these ten weeks a GIANT leap towards incorporating innovative technologies into my teaching. Sleepless nights, we certainly had many. But, when I see the progress we have made so far, I know the efforts we put in this learning journey were absolutely worthwhile. I hope we meet all of us in another virtual classroom. But, in the meantime, let’s keep in touch and help each other to become real 21st century teachers.

    I also have to thank you for the beautiful gift you embedded in your blog. You have a wonderful dance folklore. I enjoyed and watched the video clip many times. In fact, last year I had the luck to meet some of your sweet folks from Georgia. That was in the 16th International annual conference of iEARN hosted by Alakhawayn University in Ifrane, Morocco. I was extremely delighted to see young Georgians, boys and girls, performing live the same dance. It was unbelievable. I will email you a picture I took with them wearing traditional clothes.

    Musically yours,
    Arbi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Bella,

    This is the first time to read a post from the bottom to the top. Your video clip attracts my eyes and heart. I watched it many times. I even wrote this reply while I was listening to such precious piece of art. I feel that we have something in common even in cultures of our countries. Thank you Bella for every moment I spent with you. You always touch my heart by your words, videos and continuous encouragement. I hope to keep communicating even after this journey ends.

    Yours,
    Azhar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Bella,

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful video with us. It's great to learn about a country's traditions.

    I'd like to thank you for your thoughtful posts and comments. I really enjoyed reading them. I'm grateful to you for being so friendly, kind and helpful. It's been a real pleasure to learn from and with you.

    Good luck and keep up the good work!
    Arjana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Bella,

    Thank you for being an important part of this course. I was happy to have you as a colleague!
    Thank you for this wonderful video. It reminded me a lot. First, that I am your closest neighbour. Then, that I miss those times wnen we lived in one mighty Soviet Union. And at last that I once wore your national costume (my mom made it for me). Our class was to present your country at our school festival after the whole year work collecting materials. We were happy to say some words in Georgian, tried to dance your folk dance and even sang "Suliko".
    Unforgettable memories from childhood! Thank you for evoking them!

    I hope to keep communicating with you!

    Best wishes,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Bella,

    First off, thank you for helping me complete my final project report. Secondly, I think you should definitely pat yourself on the back for completing all the tasks for the course and coming through with flying colours. Your creative and thoughtful work inspired me. Thirdly, I agree that Deborah's leadership was essential to the success of our wonderfully designed course. Fourthly, who knew Georgians could dance like that? Well, now I do. Thanks for the goodbye video of dance. Have a wonderful fall semester and keep in touch. I'm interested to hear about the new courses you are working on.

    All the best,

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear All,

    Thank you so much for your warm and kind words. I am happy to have known all of you. Undoubtedly, we will stay in touch. And, if by any chance you happen to come to Georgia, be sure that you have me as a true friend. I will be happy to host you. Victoria, my closest neighbor, knows how hospitable the Georgians are!

    All the best

    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Bella:

    Thanks a lot for the gift. Being a big fan of folkloric dance, I took few minutes to watch and relax. Their performance is glamorous.
    Writing comments this week feels different. It is surely more relaxing than the previous weeks that were often restless as you said.

    I enjoyed learning with you and from you.
    Being my partner in the project added a lot to my final plan.

    Thank you very much for everything

    Yours

    Hanan

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first time I visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.
    Research Paper

    ReplyDelete