Saturday, August 14, 2010

Week 8: Summing up

This week has offered a great variety of teacher on-line resources. For instance, tools for educators http://www.toolsforeducators.com/ and Personal education press http://www.educationalpress.org/index.asp/ offer innumerable resources for word search, bingo, crossword puzzles, board games, flashcards, matching and multiple choice exercises which you can make online and print out to use offline.

Easy test maker http://www.easytestmaker.com/default.aspx is also a tool for making paper tests in an easy way. I used this site to create a test for my BA students in English philology to check the understanding of basic stylistic devices which we need for conducting stylistic analysis of literary texts.


At this point I was not able to explore Hot Potato Program http://hotpot.uvic.ca/, as it required downloading, which might change some of my computer programs and I did not take a risk, but judging from my colleagues exercises that they have made using it, I can say that it is a really great tool for teachers. As far as I know, Moodle has the HotPotato option, and I am going to use it later.

However, there was another Option, SMILE, offering web-based activity generators which, I think, is similar to Hot Potato. I was able to make a Jeopardy like game for beginners for word search in different categories.

At a glance I liked the Web Poster Wizard - http://wizard.4teachers.org/ which I could use for a single lesson assignment or for short-term Projects.

For this week's task we were also asked to create a Nicenet class, a class blog on blogger.com/ or a class wiki on sites.google.com/ .

The first two were quite easy, which I had done with pleasure. Creating a Wiki was really challenging for me, and I wasn't able to do it yet, but I'm not going to give up, as this is the tool I will be definetly using with my class very soon. Victoria kindly offered detailed instructions to solve some of my problems, and I'm going to follow them.

In addition, this week we worked on finalizing our Project report/plan drafts and sending to our peers for review. I have read very interesting projects from Janet and Hanan and sent them my feedback already. Now I'm looking forward to their feedback to my Project plan. While reviewing my peers works I used the recently studied techniques of 'tracking changes', and 'adding comments', which I found very helpful.These are the techniques I need to use all the time while reviewing my students assignments or papers.

On the whole, this week, like previous weeks, was full of amazing new things we learned. I wonder, how many more new things are awaiting us ahead!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Bella,

    We sure are learning a lot in this online course. We are gradually being upgraded into Teachers 2.0 or super teachers as I've already said in one of my previous posts. In this course we are shown tools that will make of us autonomous, creative and productive teachers.

    All the best,
    Arbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bella,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Week 8 of the WebSkills course. I agree with your statement that "this week has offered a great variety" of resources. We never know when when one or more of these tools will be helpful to our teaching situations. The more tools that we are familiar with the better. That being said, the number of resources on the web that we could potentially familiarize ourselves with is truly amazing! Of course there are many Web-based resources that are made specifically for educational applications, but then their many more "social" tools that can be adapted for educational applications. More online resources are being produced each day, and I can sometimes find number of options overwhelming!

    As I discover (or am introduced to) promising online resources I endeavour to add these sites to by Delicious page. When I do, I need to remember to add descriptions that can serve to remind me of what advantages might be provided by each resource in terms of enhancing teaching and learning. The best way to learn about these potential advantages is to listen to the experiences of those who have already tried them. We are fortunate in this course because we have been able to learn about the experiences of our fellow course members. Consequently, I think this week has helped us develop our skills for evaluating the educational applicability of different Web-based tools. From this point on, when we encounter new online resources, I hope the first question we each ask ourselves is "Does this tool have the potential to promote learner autonomy?" Any tool that can be leveraged to promote learner autonomy is enhancing teaching and learning!

    Regards,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steven,

    Nice to see you on my blog. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you that sometimes the number of resources offered to us is really overwhelming, and we have to think carefully WHEN and WHAT TOOLS to use to the best advantage of our students. This course has given us a great amount of 'food' for thought and action.

    Besides, we really learn a lot from one another. I am sure, we will continue sharing our ideas and experience, especially with newly learned tech tools, long after this course is over.

    Best

    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is very unique, I do practice this thanks….
    Research Paper

    ReplyDelete